Morro D'Oro in english
Morro D’Oro is a small, ancient town with a population of about 3500. It is located at an altitude of 210 meters, surrounded by green rolling hills almost entirely covered by vineyards and olivegroves, offering a very characteristic landscape. Viewed from a 360 degree angle, sights from the town are breathtaking: starting from the Adriatic sea to the Vomano valley, as far as the Gran Sasso mountain, to the Twin mountains, down to the Tordino valley and back to the Adriatic sea.
This delightful little town is further embellished by two magnificent churches, San Salvatore and Santa Maria di Propezzano as well as by the Tower and the medieval doors. The Renaissance palace in Via Roma and the early 19th century building in Piazza Duca degli Abruzzi are also worth visiting. The Convent of Sant’Antonio is just 1 km away and a “must see” for all visitors is the Museum of Farming Civilization, Arts and Popular Traditions, right in the heart of Morro D’Oro.
The origins of Morro D’Oro are lost in the meanders of the history of the Middle Ages: they probably date back to the times of fortifications (8th – 10th century), but dated information about its existence comes from a document of 1021 which mentions a donation of the estate of Muro, which included an old castle, by Adelberto De Aprutio in favour of the Monastery of Montecassino. Other documents dated 1101 and 1128 which mention Murum (or Morrum), further witness its existence. In the 12th century the territory belonged to Trasmondo of Castelvecchio but after the year 1200 Morro became part of the vast area of influence of the Acquaviva family, as well as other neighbouring towns, starting from the nearby Atri and extending to the river Tronto. During the following centuries, the destiny of Morro was strictly linked to that of the Acquaviva family and the town remained under the jurisdiction of the family until early 1700s. In 1808 it became autonomous.
The origins of the name Morro D’Oro, are unclear (Murus, Murrum, Morrum, then, in 1567 Moro, in 1601 Murro and in 1703 Morra; its final designation has been the same since 1863, according to a Council resolution of 18 October which added D’Oro (golden) in recognition of its rich soil and abundance of crops.
The economy of Morro D’Oro today includes industries, trade, agriculture and tourism.
The most characteristic products are those connected to the advanced agriculture and selected crops: vineyards, fruit orchards, olivegroves, seedling nurseries.
Typical, genuine products such as oil, wine, fruit, cheese and a superb local cuisine, are available at country houses, restaurants and country markets scattered in the countryside. Fishing lovers can relax on the shores of the numerous lakes found in the surroundings, while lovers of athletics can take advantage of a modern sport structure in the open, amidst the pleasant smells of the Mediterranean flora.
Every summer Morro D’Oro hosts a famous international accordion competition, , four days during which young musicians from all over the world perform and delight spectators.
How to reach Morro D’Oro:
From the A14 motorway take the Roseto degli Abruzzi exit, turn left towards the mountains and go straight on for about 2 km. then turn right at the Morro d’oro road sign and proceed for 5 km.
It’s a 15 minute drive westbound from the seaside or 30 minutes eastbound from the mountains.