The church of San Salvatore
On the south-east side of the fortified town of Morro D’Oro stands the magnificent church of San Salvatore. It was probably built in 1331 by Gentile di Ripatransone, on the model of the Abbey of Propezzano. The front of the building dates back to the 1600s, it has a tympanum stone portal with moulded bracket and cornice.
The right side is characterized by a small stone portal and four arched single-lancet windows with decorations evoking Longobard models. The bell tower transversally features the back side of the building, with only one single-lancet window. The church, divided in three aisles by square pillars, is of rectangular plan. A baroque style wooden altar and a valuable Madonna made of polychrome terracotta, unfortunately mutilated, dating back to the first decades of the 16th century, are found along the right aisle and are definitely noteworthy. Along the left aisle there are two painted and golden baroque style altars, the first one with a wooden statue of San Bernardino of Siena (1600s) and an altar piece with the “Assunzione della Vergine” dated the end of the 16th century; the theme of the second altar is the “Triumph in the Name of Jesus” by Francesco Ragazzini, dated 1600. A third altar made of stone is from the second half of the 16th century (1560) , it contains a painting dated 1601, by the same artist, representing the mystic matrimony of Santa Caterina of Alessandria.
A majestic organ from the 1700s, made by the organ Master Adriano Redi from Atri, has been moved to the rear wall. Behind the main altar there is a reliquary, from the same date, of San Bernardino, dressed in golden damask clothes. The memorial stone on the right side of the church, built near the side entrance, is also noteworthy. Inscribed on this stone, under the year 1331, the following personalities are remembered: the Pope of those times, Giovanni XXII, the king Roberto d’Angiò and the feudal owner Francesco Acquaviva. In the centre of the stone, at the sides of an “Agnus Dei crucigero”, two carved symbols belonging to the family Acquaviva : the one on the left represents a raving lion; the other one on the right displays a shield with a cross. Other information is contained in the inscription: there is mention of an “opus” ordered by a certain Martino, prior of Morro, and of his author “magister Gentilis Ripatransoni”